Are you having pain on the outside of your knee? Or the pain is just above your knee? Is it worse during activities such as tennis or soccer or other sports? If this sounds familiar, it could be because you have a condition called IT band syndrome.
Chiropractic services offer several solutions to help cure your IT band syndrome as well as preventative techniques to keep it away. If you have knee pain, seeking medical attention at its first sign is smart; you can save yourself from the pain spreading and becoming more intense.
In this post, we’ll discuss:
- What IT band syndrome is
- How you get IT band syndrome
- Symptoms of IT band syndrome
- Chiropractic solutions that cure IT band syndrome
- And more
If you’re curious about how chiropractic care can benefit your knee pain, read on.
What is IT band syndrome?
Iliotibial band syndrome (IT band syndrome) is an condition in the lateral hip and knee that affects the iliotibial band, the soft tissue that runs the length of the thigh, sitting over the quadriceps. It usually stems from tightness in the hip muscles causing irritation near the knee, causing the area to feel discomfort; however, the entire thigh can feel the symptoms.
In some cases, tension on the fascia causes it to tear, and although the tears are usually minor, patients may experience severe pain due to them.
How did I get IT band syndrome?
Unfortunately, the condition can reach people of all ages and lifestyles, but it generally affects those who are under 40 and more active.
The majority of people who suffer from ITB syndrome repeatedly use their hips and knees in the same manner or have a hip condition that keeps the hip from adequately supporting the knee and adds stress to the soft tissue on the outside of the leg. Often times we find that people who suffer from IT band syndrome have muscule strength and/ot mobility imbalances in the hip which cause a pulling on the tendon that becomes the IT band. This causes a rubbing of the tendon on the bone near the knee, which causes irritation and possible pain.
Things that cause IT band syndrome and people who commonly get it include:
- Runners, joggers, and cyclists
- Those who work on their feet
- Those with high arches
- Field sport athletes
- Those who are overweight
- Those with weakness in the hips and glutes
The ongoing or repetitive friction and rubbing of the IT band tendon leads to irritation and inflammation. Muscle imbalances can be a main contributing factor, so it’s important to your body’s function that you seek medical care to ensure the knee gets and remains in good health.
Symptoms of IT band syndrome
IT band syndrome can be felt in different ways by different people. In some cases, it makes walking difficult; in others, it makes the slightest movement unbearable.
Some of the most common symptoms of plantar fasciitis include:
- Pain in the outside of the knee
- Pain in the knee or thigh when taking steps after a long rest or first thing in the morning
- Knee pain that increases during or after exercise
- Knee stiffness that worsens throughout the day
IT band syndrome is incredibly common due to the amount of wear and tear on the knees. Up to 25% of runners and field athletes (soccer, football, rugby, etc.) will experience IT band syndrome. Luckily safe, non-invasive solutions may be all you need to treat the knee and hip soft tissues and cure the condition.
Chiropractic treatments for IT band syndrome
We’re often asked if chiropractic is good for IT band syndrome, and we’re happy to report it is. If caught early enough, a chiropractor can use methods to align and strengthen the hips and knees so they can support you properly.
Some of the chiropractic treatments to cure IT band syndrome include:
- Adjustments to the hip and knee- realigning the tissues of the hip and knees can help reduce pain and regain proper motion and flexibility
- Spinal adjustments- if the spine is not aligned correctly, it can cause pressure on the hips, and knee pain can be the result
- Stretches- performing specific hip stretches that eliminate pressure on the IT band; these are done in our clinic and at home
- Exercises- specially designed exercises that enhance strength, mobility, and healing
- Sports chiropractic - solutions provided to athletic patients that utilize a full-body approach to your care, enhancing performance and finding balance
- Soft tissue treatments- help restore the function of the soft tissues. We use Active Release Techniques and Graston Technique.
At Invictus Chiropractic, we know that you want to live in comfort and enjoy your physical activities, and we want to help make that happen. We’ll design a treatment plan around your needs and use solutions that complement each other for the most effective recovery process.
Don’t take risks with your health. If you’re experiencing knee pain, come visit our Centennial chiropractic clinic. Maybe the cause of your discomfort isn’t serious, but wouldn’t you rather know?
We’re ready to get you moving pain-free and confidently. Contact us today, and let’s start.